Saturday 16 April 2011

Topolinis Cafe

Gnocci. "At their best, Gnocci can be light and delicate. At their worst, dense rubbery and/or soggy."

I love Gnocci. I love the versatility of it and the range of dishes that it can be incorporated into. Quite simply, it is my favourite Italian dish. I will order it from any menu.

At Topolinis, I wish I hadn't. The best part of the dish were the chunks of sweet potato. The Gnocci was stodgy and uncooked and the sauce tasteless. The worst part of the Gnocci was the range of shapes. I received small, delicate pieces that were cooked beautifully but within the same plate were large chunky pieces of Gnocci (larger than my thumb!) which were inedible.

Topolinis, like many other venues these days, have a gourmet pizza selection on their menu. Reading through the menu itself is mouth-watering. I ordered the 'Port a call' described as 'Pancetta, Portobello mushrooms, artichoke, salt and pepper feta.' Salt, and lots of it. Actually a very tasty pizza, the artichoke in particular was an interesting choice for a pizza but it made the dish. The salt was a little over-powering unfortunatly, replace the pancetta with a less salty meat and this would have been a lot more enjoyable. The stale slivers of parmasen cheese thickly layed on top also added nothing to the pizza.

To say I was dissapointed would be an understatement. The atmosphere at Topolinis is second to none in Geraldton, it is open-air which makes good use of the Geraldton sea breeze and has great staff that know the menu well and serve with confidence and personality.

Food: 2/5
Service: 4/5
Ambience: 4/5
Price: 2/5

Topolinis Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment